To minimize water waste, place plants in groups according to their light and water needs.
- Take advantage of the latest trend in succulents and add some semprevivum to your garden.
- Choose a variety of plants native to your area or drought-tolerant plants such as catmint, lantana, veronica, sedum or Russian sage.
- Add a dry streambed using rocks to line a trench and create the look and feel of a water feature but with no water at all!
- Go for lawnless landscaping, using poured-in-place concrete pavers for a modern look.
- Add a non-plant focal point such as a Japanese-style bridge, a large rock or stepping stones.
- And don’t forget to add carefully positioned directional lighting.
Who said a water conservation garden has to be reduced to a cactus and gravel? Visit your local garden store for more ideas, and don’t be afraid to experiment and get creative!