When it comes to installing any electrical equipment in the garden, hiring a qualified electrical contractor can literally save your life! However, knowing a few things about a safe electrical installation will help you understand better the scope of your redesign project and plan accordingly. Keeping in mind these basic rules will ensure that your outdoor room becomes a secure place:
- Hire a qualified contractor for all your outdoor electrical installations.
- Make sure that the contractor has protected all exterior electrical circuits by a ground fault interrupter. This device will cut off power immediately when it detects a leakage of current to earth.
- Turn off electrical equipment before doing any maintenance, even if it’s a simple bulb replacement.
- Install electrical equipment outside unless you are qualified to do so.
- Use any electrical devices such as switches, sockets, and transformers in the garden if they are designed only for interior uses.
- Substitute proper weatherproof enclosures with plastic bags or temporary wrappings.